Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My First 5K!

Obviously we kicked butt! ;)
If you really know me, you know that doing a 5k is a pretty big deal for me. Don't get me wrong, I like to be active, but running just doesn't do it for me. Even with good music, it's just not too fun or interesting for me so I get bored and feel tired quickly. Basically, it's just not my thing. I like to play tennis or do fitness classes a LOT more than running so why the 5k?

Over the summer, I started going to the gym and being more active again so I wanted to keep that going by trying to get into running. A 5k is only 3.1 miles so that's not too bad, right? Considering that I've probably never ran that much in one go in my entire life, I got a little panicky, but I just hit submit button on the online form anyway. 3.1 miles is a lot less than a marathon so I figured I could do it. With months to prepare, I thought it was a lot doable so I signed up and hoped for the best.

Just my luck, I actually got a little sick a couple of days before the race. The weeks leading up to the race got really busy for me so I wasn't able to run as often as I had planned. With those two things in mind, I was starting to think that the world was seriously sending me a hint. Well, I didn't want to back out last minute so I went ahead with the run anyway. I honestly didn't care about getting a good PR so finishing was more than enough for me.


On the day of the race, I woke up late and arrived late at the starting line. Another girl arrived late like me so she said she would run with me, but we didn't get very far together because I took a lot of breaks for my coughing fits. I was able to jog some of it, maybe a little less than half of the whole thing, but the whole coughing business was not fun. It was fun to see the people along the way dressed up as superheroes and other fun costumes though. There were a lot of kids there too, and they were all adorable! My personal favorite was these two boys in a wagon dressed up as Robin and Batman. I really wanted to take a picture, but I didn't want to be a creep. Another group dressed up as the Super Mario crew, and one of them even had a sound system in their backpack that was playing the theme song.


So yeah, it was not too bad, and I survived (barely!). I'm proud of my accomplishment, but I can't say that I'll be doing another 5k anytime soon. I might do it again for a Disney run or a charity run, but that would probably be a while from now or something. Even if I still don't like running after this, I learned that it's okay to step out of my comfort zone and do something completely out of my character. Now, I can appreciate working out that involves doing the activities that I do like so there are less complaints there too. Hmmm, I wonder what crazy thing I'll do next...

1 comment:

  1. congrats! that's awesome! it's on my bucket list for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I would love to hear from you so please say hello and leave a comment. :)